Food has an important role in Indian weddings and the life of a newly wed bride. Indian weddings are mostly rated on the basis of; number and quality of the dishes served (don’t even try to deny this! ). ‘Kheer’,’Payasam’ or Rice pudding (A sweet dish made of milk basically) is vital in any Indian wedding, regardless of North India or South India Kheer is a must in every wedding.There is also a ceremony where, after the wedding the newly wed bride has to prepare kheer for her in-laws and other relatives which becomes her first venture in the kitchen. An auspicious time is chosen for her to prepare the sweet dish, the elders of the family offer gifts to her after they taste 😛 (A very performance oriented role!) The purpose behind the custom is to inspire the newly wed bride, to have sweet, cordial and harmonious relations with her in-laws (same applies to the in-laws in case you ask!). The elders expect the newly wed bride to understand her responsibility and be respectful towards them.
Here I have given a simple Rice sheer recipe which can be a savior our new;y wed bride after wedding 🙂
Rice 1\4 cup (short grain basmati rice would be best soaked for 30mins)
Milk 1 litre (Whole cream milk would be best)
Sugar 1\4 cup (little less or more depending on your taste)
Ccardamom powder 1\4 teaspoon
Cashew 4-5 Nos
Raisins 4-5 Nos
Almond 4-5 Nos
Saffron Few strands(soaked in a tablespoon of milk)
- Boil the milk in a thick bottom vessel.
- Once it starts boiling, add the soaked rice and bring it to boil. When the rice starts boiling bring it to simmer and cook the rice. Keep stirring as there is chance of sticking the mixture to the bottom of the vessel.
- Once the rice is cooked and the kheer is thickened add the saffron, cut dry fruits and nuts and cardamom powder and bring it to boil. You can add more sugar now after tasting,according to your taste.
- Turn off gas and let the cool.
- Kheer thickens once it is cold.
- Kheer can be served hot or cold.
- Saffron, cardamom powder, almonds are optional according to your taste.
- Cashew and Raisins and be roasted in ghee before adding into the kheer.
The Delicious kheer for your in-laws is ready. Happy cooking girls and scoring points in the in-law world! 🙂
For any assistance : Write us at [email protected]
1 thought on “Recipe for the newly wed bride: Rice Kheer”
Comments are closed.