People have started taking traveling as a stress buster. Everyone likes to spend their long weekend away from the city rush in a place which is close to nature.
Our first Airbnb experience came on the past long weekend. We were heading to Mcleodganj and thought to stay at Dharamsala considering the rush which was supposed to happen the same weekend. We were looking for stay options and everything was exorbitantly priced because it was a long weekend. We were 5 adults and a kid. Our best shot turned out to rent a single apartment which is possible through AirBnB. Also, to stay away from the rush in Mcleodganj we thought of staying somewhere near Dharamsala.
We searched for places and options through AirBnB and it was pretty easy to shortlist 5 places. For further details, we messaged the contacts listed on Airbnb and we got responses. One of the options we selected was “Your Home in the Hills” which is a 2 bedroom apartment for rent.
We spoke to Mr. Amit the owner of the homestay as we wanted to know more about the location and also the roads since that is one fact to choose which car to take for the trip. He sent us the pictures and necessary information and we confirmed the booking.
We drove from Noida on Thursday early morning and by 4 pm we reached the home stay. This place is in Dharamsala – Palampur road or (Khaniyara road you can say) and is a beautiful place away from all the rush and businesses. It’s a 3 storey building and our apartment was on the 3rd floor.
About Your Home in the Hills:
There are rooms available on the first & second floor which are cheaper options named Rajinder Guest House. Even though the apartment looked normal from outside, the interiors were awesome and it was spacious and well furnished. There were two-bed rooms with balcony, a huge drawing room with 10(or more) seater sofa and a tea table.
There is a modular kitchen with gas stove and fridge, a common bathroom( other than the two bedroom attached ones) and a common balcony. The apartment is ideal for 2 families or even larger group of friends or family. All you need is to check for some extra beds as there is plenty of space in the drawing doom. The apartment is fully furnished with shelf’s in the drawing room, bedroom, and kitchen.
The best part was the view from the balcony. The Manji river stream, the lush and beautiful farmland on one side, the snow covered mighty Dauladhar range on the other, what else can be more refreshing than these sights. We spent the mornings sipping our coffee and soaking in the sun and nature.
Get out of the apartment and walk a bit to the Manji stream for the real fun. A clean and beautiful stream with pebble stones and a beautiful view with ice chilled water, yes the water was chilled, not cold. We can’t explain you the joy of sitting there and looking at the valley and beautiful scenery around. This was one of the perks we had staying at ‘You Home in the Hills’, right in front of the property is the stream and it is easily accessible.
On the ground floor, they have a restaurant and a stationary shop. As the owner of the apartment runs the restaurant the food served was homely and delicious that we hardly went out to eat. A special mention about the boys who served us all the meals, it’s not easy to climb all the 3 floors to serve food. Both vegetarian and Non-vegetarian dishes were really good.
We have stayed in many home stays and this was one of our favorites, just because of the location, away from the crowd and very close to nature. Those who love to stay in a calm and silent place with a beautiful view should definitely opt this property.
How to Reach There
- A 9- hour drive from Delhi ( Approx 470kms). If using public transport, you can pre-book buses to Dharamshala and Mcleodganj. It’s better to take a taxi from there to the homestay.
- You can book a train to Pathankot. From there you can take a narrow gauge train till Kangra and then hire a taxi.
- This property is in Kaniyara Road (a kilometer from Dharamsala) and behind the new Food & Craft Institute.
- The road till the property( 300 meters) is not the best and will be a problem for vehicles with low wheelbase.
Amit had sent us the location of the place and it was easy to reach there.
The booking can be done through AirBnB.
- Our stay ‘ You Home in the Hills’ is a separate one from the rooms in the first and second floor. If you want to go for just the rooms and not the entire apartment you can book the rooms in the first and second floor which is named as ‘ Rajinder Guest House’. You can also try our the restaurant on the ground floor which serves delicious food as mentioned above. We paid 5600 INR per day for the whole apartment.
- There is no lift in the building so if you are someone who cannot climb the stairs plan accordingly.
- It’s a pet-friendly place.
- The best landmark is the Food & Craft Institute or if you are searching on Google maps, add Rajinder Guest House, Khaniyara road.
PS: Try not to litter plastic wastes anywhere you travel. It’s heartbreaking to find such beautiful places being polluted by us.