Urad dal/split black gram – a handful
Rice flour/Raw rice – 1 tblsp
Onion – 1
green chillies – 5
Fennel- 1 tsp
Coriander, mint leaves, chopped – each 2 tblsp
Dry red chillies -2-3
Curry leaves – 1 string
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Garlic – 5-6 cloves
a pinch of asafoetida
- Soak both the dal for minimum 2 hrs, after that wash and drain it for another fifteen minutes.
- Grind both the dal together to make a thick coarse paste.Grind it coarsely, don’t over do it(ignore if you find whole dal in the batter) Don’t add water while grinding..
- Add rest of the ingredients (chopped onions, and leaves) into the mix. (here we can either give it a quick grind for few seconds or we can just mix it with the dal mixture as it is)
- Wet your hands and make balls of the mix and give a press with your hands ( as you do for cutlet)
- Deep fry them in hot oil until golden brown. Serve hot with tea or coffee.
- No compromise on soaking for minimum 2 hrs.
- You don’t need to have all the ingredients to make a perfect parippu/dal vada, you can omit any of the ingredients and still the vada taste so good. Don’t omit the dal 😛
- You can add or reduce the quantity of green chill or dried red chilli as per your spice level.
- Make sure you’re frying parippu vada in average flame , if its too hot, you’ll get burnt vada and won’t get cooked inside,