I was never an avid salad eater. Although they looked appealing to me, I still preferred some interesting savoury tummy filling dish over raw veggies or fruits piled over each other.
All the more, making a salad at home was always considered a tedious job with all those cutting, chopping, peeling…phew.. all for what, a plate of raw vegetables!! It kind of never clicked with me. But my perception was changed for good as I recently started exercising, and watching ones diet becomes very crucial for the exercise to bear results.
So, one day I made a simple salad with some left over veggies and fruits. Okay, so the Salad Recipe might sound like a lot of work, but believe me, once your salad is ready, you will find it all worth the effort.
You can also serve a big bowl of this salad to your guests instead of fried starters for a house party and trust me they will never complain..
So here it goes..
(FRUITS & VEGETABLES)
½ each GREEN, YELLOW AND RED CAPSICUM
½ A PINEAPPLE
HANDFUL OF SWEET CORN KERNELS
Juice of half orange (optional)
1 tsp of vinegar
2 tblsp of honey
1 tsp of olive oil
Pepper powder – as per taste
Chat masala – as per taste
Salt- as per taste
Mix all the ingredients mentioned in the dressing and stir well. Taste, check and keep it aside, then
- Take sliced half portion of green red and yellow capsicum and grill them lightly. Use a gas top grill or a grill pan or even a simple roti tawa will do.. u can also smear a little olive oil on the veggies.
- Also grill the sliced onion in the same manner.
- Dice the pineapple, orange (into quarters), apple, de-seed the pomegranate and add corn kernels (boiled), all into the same bowl. Save half the orange for dressing.
- Add the diced grilled green, yellow and red capsicum and also the grilled onions.
- Pour in all that nice dressing you have prepared and toss it well.
- Refrigerate the salad for 20-25 mints.
And voilaa….. serve chilled this splash of colors on a plate… give it a toss before serving… juicy and yummmm.. and indeed does you good too.. now that’s what we call a win-win..
- YOU CAN ADD OR REMOVE ANY FRUIT OR VEGGIES AS PER YOUR LIKING. TRICK IS TO ADD AS MANY COLOURS AS POSSIBLE.
- GRILLING THE VEGGIES ADDS A NICE SMOKY AND CHARRED FLAVOUR TO THE SALAD, BUT ITS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL AND IF YOU WANT TO SAVE TIME OR LIKE YOUR VEGGIES FRESH, YOU CAN SKIP THIS STEP.
- SOME OTHER IDEAS FOR VEGGIES AND FRUITS THAT CAN BE ADDED – CUCUMBER, CARROT, BLACK AND GREEN GRAPES, STRAWBERRIES, RED CABBAGE, ETC.
- GRILLING THE PINEAPPLE ADDS A DISTICT FLAVOUR TO THE DISH. TRY IT IF YOU LIKE.
- ORANGE JUICE IN THE DRESSING IS ALSO OTIONAL. IF YOU DONT HAVE ORANGES YOU CAN SKIP IT.
- DONT STORE YOUR SALAD FOR LONG. THE FRUITS AND VEGGIES WILL BECOME MUSHY.