My never ending craving for snacks made me learn to prepare samosas and different pakoras. But the guilt after eating the fried snacks lasts for a longer time than the taste. The remedy is to find snacks which are healthier and tastier. In Indian cuisine we have many options for healthier snacks which are oil free but equally tastier. Dhokla is one such yummy snack. It’s Gujarati cuisine and famous snack across India. Even though dhokla is not the most favorite among non Gujarathis, many of us cannot resist a bite of the yellow spongy beautifully garnished dhokla pieces 🙂
There are many variants of dhokla. I’m gonna share khaman dhokla recipe with you guys.
Besan(gram flour) – 2 cups
turmeric- 1/2 tsp
Curd- 1 cup
Water- 1 cup
sugar- 11/2 tsp
asafoetida- a pinch
lemon juice- 2 tsp
green chilly- 3
ginger- a small piece
eno fruit salt 2 tsp or baking soda- 3\4 tsp
mustard seeds- 1 tsp
cumin seeds- 1 tsp
coriander leaves- few chopped
grated coconut- 2 tablespoon
water- 1 cup
Salt- 1 tsp
- Make a paste of green chilly and ginger.
- In a large bowl mix besan, green chilly + garlic paste, turmeric, 1 tsp lemon juice, sugar, salt,water and mix well.
- Now grease a flat bottomed bowl and add the mix along with eno fruit salt/ baking soda and mix well.
- Steam it for around 12 minutes(like you cook idli). You can also microwave the batter. (use a toothpick to check if dhokla is cooked. Insert a fork in the dhokla and the if it’s cooked the toothpick should come out clean)
- Keep the cooked dhokla aside for 5 minutes and transfer the dhokla into a clean plate.
- Temper: Heal oil in a pan add mustard seeds, cumin seeds asofoetida, and curry leaves at the end.
- Add the temper on to the dhokla and spread well.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Slice and serve the yummy dhokla hot or cold.
- Make sure you are not adding excess amount of water
- reduce the number of chillies if you want a less spicier dhokla
- Let the water boil before keeping the dhokla batter on steamer.
- It’s better to keep the stove in low to medium flame.
- You can slice the dhokla befor or after tempering
Hope you liked my recipe. Do share your favorite healthy snack options in the comments below.