When you plan a trip to South India you mostly end up traveling to either hill stations in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala. There are beautiful hill stations in Maharashtra also. Those who love beaches than hills can travel to Pondicherry, Kovalam, Chennai, Mumbai etc or to backwaters in Kerala. If you planning a whole South India tour it’s better to pre-book your flight tickets in advance. There are cheaper flight tickets available connecting major cities like Mumbai-bangalore, Chennai- Kochi and also for Chennai-Mumbai flights.
When in Bangalore make sure you visit the nearby hill stations like Coorg. Not many are aware of the beauty of Coorg. Coorg also known as Kodag is a district in Karnataka. It’s a beautiful hill station with lots of coffee plantation and also plantations with a wide variety of spices. You can see red ripe coffee seeds on the trees when you travel across Coorg. We would say Coorg is a must-visit travel destination if you are longing for lush greens, waterfalls, trekking, wildlife and prefer a not so crowded vacation.
How to Reach: Coorg is almost 5 hours drive from Bangalore (270 Kms approx). You can either select homestay or Coorg Resorts for your stay.
There is a big list of beautiful places to visit in Coorg like :
- Abbey falls: Abbey falls is approx 5 kms far from Madikeri. You need to stop your vehicle a Km away from the falls and trek through beautiful coffee plantations to reach the waterfalls. A short trek which leads to the beautiful waterfalls how exciting is that! The best time to visit Abbey falls is just after monsoons.
- Talakaveri/Talacauvery: Talakaveri/Talacauvery is the origin of river Cauvery/Kaveri. The water here is believed to have healing powers. This place is known as a pilgrimage and also for its scenic beauty.
- Cauvery Nisargadhama: It’s most famous picnic spot in Coorg. Cauvery Nisargadhama is an island located at Kushal Nagar where you can see River Cauvery flowing across. You can spot deer, rabbits and also go for an elephant ride.
- Dubare Elephant Camp: This place is for elephant lovers. You need to have a boat ride to reach Dubare Elephant Camp.
- Raja’s Seat: The misty mornings and the breathtaking sunset from Raja’s Seat is famous among travelers. You can see these site on the benches arranged in the park in Raja’s Seat.
- Golden Temple: The Buddhist monastery in Kushal Nagar is one of our favorite destination in Coorg. You would be amazed to see the beautiful temple architecture and the monks passing by. They have many thousands of Buddhist Monks in the Monastery in Baylkuppe. You would feel as if you have landed in Tibet with Tibetan flags flying high. You can also try Tibetan cuisines in the restaurants here. There are shops which sell Tibetan products.
This list isn’t over yet 😀
- There are a number adventurous destinations for trekking like Brahmagiri Peak, Mandalpatti view-point, Tadiandamol Trek, Pushpagiri Trek etc.
- If you are looking for more adventure you can go for Off-roading. There are certain Coorg resorts who offer great off-roading packages.
- If you love thrilling water adventures you can try white water rafting in Barapole River.
- Those who want to go deep into nature can visit the coffee and spice plantations.
Apart from these Coorg has a number of waterfalls, hills, mountains. The Coorgi cuisine is to die for. The homestays and resorts in Coorg offer you wide variety of Coorgi cuisines.
The best time to visit Coorg is just after monsoons. We love Coorg when there is slight drizzle. We love rains!! 😀